Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
A Safe Routes to School sidewalk project will begin Monday in southwest Minot.
The project will construct new sidewalks on 17th Avenue SW between 16th Street SW and Edison Elementary School. Work will begin on Monday, with 16th Avenue SW closed at the intersection with 16th Street SW until Phase 1 of the project is completed in mid- to late-June. The work will then move along 17th Avenue SW from 16th Avenue SW to 7th Street SW.
As part of the project, 17th Avenue SW will be closed to thru traffic from June 9 to potentially mid-August.
The project has a fall completion date. It includes new concrete sidewalks, accessible pedestrian ramps, curb, and gutters. Of the $1,038,916 project cost, 80 percent was provided through the North Dakota Department of Transportation’s Transportation Alternatives Program and federal sources. The remaining 20 percent is locally funded.
The City Council hired Ackerman-Estvold to complete a Safe Routes to School study, which was completed in 2010. It outlined the existing network of sidewalks around all of Minot’s elementary schools and areas where sidewalks were needed. The study then created a list of priorities based on the schools that had the highest need for new sidewalks.
The City of Minot has Safe Routes to School projects approved for 2023 near Bel Air Elementary and Washington Elementary. Several other Safe Routes to School projects were completed in recent years.
For more on the history of this project, check out the City of Minot website at